Your domain name can hugely impact the way people and robots perceive your website. Likewise, not owning a domain name and not having online visibility will also affect how potential customers perceive you.
What makes a good Domain name?
- It should be memorable. Short & easy to spell. Keywords and search terms are ideal. Generic words are invaluable but don’t be afraid to add a twist.
- .com continues to be the extension of choice.
- Some sites, like Yahoo, list websites in alphabetical order therefore domain names that begin with ABC as opposed to XYZ are preferred.
- Avoid using dashes or clever numbers to replace words it is confusing and inhibits search-ability.
- Register your domain quickly as the competition is stiff and the domain seems to disappear overnight.
Where is the best place to purchase a domain name? While there are many options my go-to source is Go Daddy. They have inexpensive package deals, lots of promo codes, and good customer service comparatively.